[cups.general] http://cups.org/str.php?L2535

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Wed Oct 10 08:21:34 PDT 2007

Hi,

Tim Waugh wrote:

> This comment is incorrect:
>   "The ioctl() is supposed to work in current kernels"
>
> There is no support in the lp driver for fetching the device ID, and has
> not been for a while.
>
> This comment is puzzling:
>   "better to have the OS do its job"
>
> It *was* and *is* doing its job, but CUPS no longer fetches the Device
> ID from the correct place (/sys).
>
> I'm not quite clear on the reason for the working code being removed,
> but here is a patch to make it work again in a different way (in case
> the '/sys' bit is the objection?).

I was also working on this issue in our distribution. Kernel developer
told me so far that current used method was never a clean way to fetch
the device IDs from kernel, and they wondered that this worked ever.
If we (= cups maintainers) want a clean and long term supported way,
we should ask the kernel developers for a registered ioctl() call ID.
This is an usual and easy way.

Having doubts, if the '/sys' method is the real solution here.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel