Page number

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Oct 13 08:30:21 PDT 2007

Arpad Hajdu wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've got a problem.
>
> I'd like to use cups as a local print server. It works perfectly, but I've got a problem.
>
> When my clients print I don't see how many pages they print. Cups shows me only unknown at the pages column. It is possible to show me the number of pages?
>
> Configuration:
> Cups 1.3.3
> HP LaserJET 1160
>
> My clients are running Windows XP SP2 (Home and Prof Edition too)
>
> I added the printer as a http printer (for example: http://servername:631/printers/printername)

I suspect that the print jobs start with HP PJL statements and thus
are typed as "application/vnd.cups-postscript". As a consequence, they
are not passed through the usual filter chain but forwarded directly
to the respective backend. As the page counting usually is done
by the pstops filter, you get no page count.

You could try to play around with your mime.types and mime.convs files
to manage your jobs through the pstops filter or implement some other
means to count the pages.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke