HL-1440 problems

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Oct 15 01:53:01 PDT 2007

tj wrote
:
> I have spent a lot of time TRYING to get my Brother HL-1440 printer
> to print correctly on the page. It prints to high. The driver is
> NOT obeying  the ppd file. It is not taking into account the
> "unprintable" areas of the print and moving printing DOWN that
> distance.
>
> I tries editing the ppd file changing
> *ImageableArea Letter/US Letter: "0 0 612 792"
> *ImageableArea Letter/Letter:   "18 12 594 780"

Why did you cut off the "US " in front of the second "Letter"?
(But that's not the cause of your problem....)

Did you run your modified PPD though "cupstestppd", and does it
still pass without error?

> and the printing does move down or right AT ALL. It is almost as if
> the driver is ignoring the ppd file.

What applicaiion is it that shows the problem?

The real test if CUPS is respecting the Imageable area statements from
the PPD are these:

 (a) print a text file from the command line (with long enough lines):

     "lp -d bro-hl1440 /path/to/textfile.txt"

     Do you see the "margins" respected?

 (b) print the CUPS test page from the web interface or the command
     line:

     "lp -d bro-hl1440 /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps"

     There will be a "Imageable Area" box telling you what CUPS used
     for the specific printer. The black frame around the page will
     show visually this imageable area as well.

Should your problem occur when printing from Firefox, Thunderbird
OpenOffice or whatever application, then look there. It is not CUPS'
fault then. The app may send PostScript that is already drawing a
"wrong" page image, and CUPS can't do anything about it

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS