[cups.general] how to allow only one job at a time (and queueeverything else)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Oct 15 04:01:51 PDT 2007

Kurt Pfeifle schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to configure CUPS so that it runs only one filter job at
>> any given time?
>

> Have a look at the "FilterLimit" directive in cupsd.conf. See
>
>   http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#FilterLimit
>
> "FilterNice" may provide some additional relief.

I've read about it, but I don't understand it.

This is the explanation in the fine manual:

#######

Examples

       FilterLimit 0
       FilterLimit 200
       FilterLimit 1000

Description

The FilterLimit directive sets the maximum cost of all running job
filters. It can be used to limit the number of filter programs that are
run on a server to minimize disk, memory, and CPU resource problems. A
limit of 0 disables filter limiting.

An average print to a non-PostScript printer needs a filter limit of
about 200. A PostScript printer needs about half that (100). Setting the
limit below these thresholds will effectively limit the scheduler to
printing a single job at any time.

The default limit is 0.

#######

What does "the maximum cost of all running job filters" mean?

So, if I want to allow max one filter (which may consist of multiple
processes: foomatic/ghostscript/foo/bar/etc.) at any given time, and
queue other jobs, what FilterLimit should I choose?

FilterLimit 1?
FilterLimit 100?
FilterLimit 200?

--