[cups.general] how to allow only one job at a time (andqueueeverything else)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Oct 15 05:19:27 PDT 2007

Kurt Pfeifle schrieb:
 > Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

(...)

 >>> "FilterNice" may provide some additional relief.
 >> I've read about it, but I don't understand it.
 >
 > What's wrong with the advice of
 >
 >    "setting the limit below these thresholds will effectively
 >     limit the scheduler to printing a single job at any time."
 >
 > It translates into a cupsd.conf line of
 >
 > FilterLimit 190
 >
 > that will effectively limit cupsd to process only one single job
 > at any one time.

The problem is that it explains some values (FilterLimit) which depend
on other values (cost, or "CUPS dollar", as you explain later), but
these other values were not explained (or, they were explained somewhere
else).

Yes, I can perfectly understand it, but I wasn't sure what will be the
difference for a non-postscript printer if I set this value to 199, 190,
100 or 1? No difference at all? Or filters spawning sub-processes will
have problems? This is what I was afraid of.

To CUPS developers: it would be nice to have a directive for it
("MaxStartedFilters 1" would be a value for me), though.
Calculating all costs for all printers may be an interesting task for
some who like detailed fine-tuning, but is not very portable across
printers/setups.
As you say "FilterLimit 200" will "probably allow 2 or 3 concurrently
processed jobs"; for some systems, "probably" is not always a good
choice, and "2 or 3" can make a big difference.

Thanks for a detailed explanation.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org