[cups.general] how to allow only one job at a time (andqueueeverything else)?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Oct 15 05:28:29 PDT 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> As you say "FilterLimit 200" will "probably allow 2 or 3 concurrently
> processed jobs"; for some systems, "probably" is not always a good
> choice, and "2 or 3" can make a big difference.

As I do not know the exact setup of your system and your print queues
(nor the version of distro, CUPS, Ghostscript and foomatic-rip you use)
I was unable to give you a definite figure.

But since you seem to have a very limited environment, with one printer
only, it shouldn't be a problem for you to calculatat all possible fil-
tering chains for your print clients (which seem to be some kind of MS
Windows, guessing from your mentioning of "domain controller".

So (again guessing) the "all possible filtering chains for your print
clients" go down to this one alone:

  application/postscript

             |         <----- pstops        # cost : 66
  application/vnd.cups-postscript

             |         <----- foomatic-rip  # cost : 100, or whatever
  application/vnd.cups-raw

It's as easy as adding two figures, and then setting the FilterLimit
value lower than that. In above example any non-0 equal or smaller than
165 should work.

You seem to be an experienced enough user to even find out with 3 or 4
"trial and error" tests what a working setting will be for you and your
environment.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS