[cups.general] how to allow only one job at a time (andqueueeverything else)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Oct 15 05:45:01 PDT 2007

Kurt Pfeifle schrieb:

> But since you seem to have a very limited environment, with one printer
> only, it shouldn't be a problem for you to calculatat all possible fil-
> tering chains for your print clients (which seem to be some kind of MS
> Windows, guessing from your mentioning of "domain controller".

Quite the contrary - calculating it can be a bit problematic (or, time
consuming, and human beings are lazy...).
The problem is that I have multiple of such devices (these tiny ARM
running CUPS & friends) in multiple remote locations, with different
postscript or non-postscript printers (sometimes one printer, sometimes
more).

> So (again guessing) the "all possible filtering chains for your print
> clients" go down to this one alone:
>
>   application/postscript
>              |         <----- pstops        # cost : 66
>   application/vnd.cups-postscript
>              |         <----- foomatic-rip  # cost : 100, or whatever
>   application/vnd.cups-raw
>
> It's as easy as adding two figures, and then setting the FilterLimit
> value lower than that. In above example any non-0 equal or smaller than
> 165 should work.
>
> You seem to be an experienced enough user to even find out with 3 or 4
> "trial and error" tests what a working setting will be for you and your
> environment.

It doesn't work that well remotely (well, I could use ps) and for
devices which are to be deployed in the future ;)
In other words: is it safe to set "FilterLimit 1", and expect everything
to work? (from what you write, it should work though, but I wouldn't
like to break printing and see CUPS logging "FilterLimit is 1, and this
job costs 170, rejecting").

Anyway, I'll deploy a new device to see, but it takes an hour or so.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org