[cups.general] how to allow only one job at a time(andqueueeverything else)?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Oct 15 07:55:36 PDT 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Kurt Pfeifle schrieb:
>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>
>>> To CUPS developers: it would be nice to have a directive for it
>>> ("MaxStartedFilters 1" would be a value for me), though.
>>
>> Requests for features and improvements should go to
>>
>>   http://www.cups.org/str.php
>>
>> If just posted to this mailing list, they will get lost. If the STR
>> page is too much bother for you, you're probably also not *that* much
>> interested in said feature.
>
> Oh, I used that several times in the past.
>
> However, it looks like I don't need that feature.
>
> With "FilterLimit 0" (so, no limits, or with that commented out), when I
> started several print jobs, from different users:
>
> lp -d My_Printer file1.pdf
> lp -d My_Printer file2.pdf
> lp -d My_Printer file3.pdf
>
> I see only one filter job running at a time.

Of course. The jobs all went to the same queue. And a queue will process
only one job at a time in any case. (That's why a job that causes a backend
to fail can stop the complete queue, also for all consecutive jobs).

> Which I don't really understand, as I'm certain I saw multiple filter
> jobs running on this machine today, and was the reason for this thread.

If you have at least 2 queues on a server, and send jobs to both queues
at the same time, you'll see multiple jobs running concurrently.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS