Large cups systems?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Oct 15 11:51:24 PDT 2007

Seth Galitzer wrote:

> I'd really like to know how you keep such a large configuration stable.
> I've got roughly a dozen printers and a couple-hundred users and the
> whole system seems so flaky that if you sneeze too hard it falls apart.
>  I find I have to restart the cups service almost daily to keep things
> running.  I know my physical network is solid.  My configuration is
> pretty simple, I'm not doing anything fancy.
>
> So what's the secret?  More horesepower on my server?  Clustered servers?
>  More caffene?  I can live with limited driver capability, most of my
> users don't even notice, but the stability is a serious issue.
> Anything, please, this is frustrating me to no end.

You wanna know what frustrates *me* sometimes?

Users who come and complain, without giving even a iota of detail about
their real problem. Users who have to be asked again and again about
some most elementary data of their setup. Users whom you have to pull
every Byte of info out of their noses, and who then never come back to
say "It worked" after they have been helped here regardless.

So what OS do you run? Which distro, which version?

What CUPS version? Ghostscript? Samba? Print client types? Which OS do
the print clients use? Which is the typical mix of print jobs, from
which applications?

What sort of printers?

What sort of errors do you see logged in the error_log file? Why is it
that you need to restart the CUPS service daily?

What is the content of your cupsd.conf file? (without comments, please;
just give us the output of 'grep -Ev "^#|^$ /etc/cups/cupsd.conf')

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS