Large cups systems?

Bernd Krumböck b.krumboeck at rewe-group.at
Mon Oct 15 13:30:21 PDT 2007

> I have to restart the daemon nearly daily because I get several queues
> stuck in this bad state to where a restart of the queue itself is not
> sufficient to get jobs flowing again.

Interesting...
You are sure, that the queue state is enabled and accepting jobs?
New jobs are processed after reenabling the queue?
Have you ever tried to alter already submitted jobs with "lp -i job-id"?

> I'm looking through the error_log and am not convinced I see much
> helpful in there.  It's pretty verbose.  When I tail -f it, it updates
> several times per second.  If there's anything I should be looking for,

Anything with "W" or "E" in the first column. Maybe you should decrease the log level until you can ensure that you don't miss any warning or error message.

> please let me know, otherwise, I'd be pasting a huge dump which probably
> wouldn't be productive.  The following seem fairly common (and look like
> actual errors):
> "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided" (tasks seem to keep
> going after this one)
> "cupsdUpdateCUPSBrowse: Refused 172 bytes from foo" (where foo is the IP
> of the server it's running on)

Can't see any problems. You can avoid the last message if you set BrowseAllow foo. Maybe you should also set BrowseAllow 127.0.0.1

> Like I said, if you can give me an idea of what to look for, I'll do it.
>
> I'll paste my sanitized cupsd.conf here.
>
> #begin cupsd.conf
> BrowseInterval 15
> BrowseTimeout 30

Very aggressive timing.
No problem if your network runs perfect and you have a very limited number of printers (e.g. 15-30). In my opinion BrowseTimeout is very small.

> #end cupsd.conf

regards!
Bernd