Large cups systems?

Seth Galitzer sgsax at ksu.edu
Tue Oct 16 14:52:39 PDT 2007

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Seth Galitzer wrote:
[snip]
>>> And sent to what type of target printer?
>>>
>>> (Ah, it may be a "LaserJet 5 M" according to the %%TargetDevice line.)
>> One of them is an HP 5M, the other is an HP 8150.  The other printer I
>> tried resending the jobs to is an HP 4000.  These are all LaserJets, FYI.
>
> I repeat: "what happened when sending to the same printer?"
>           "what's the difference between these two printers?"
>
> Are these all PostScript capable printers? And the HP 4000 printed what
> the other two wouldn't? Strange...

OK, lemme try to be more specific.

Job 123 was file myfile.pdf.  Job 123 was originally sent to
printer-hp8150, where it subsequently resulted in KID3 returning error 3
and cups stopped the job.  I resent job 123 to printer-hp8150 and to
printer-hp5000, both of which support PS, using lpr with my saved copy
of the spool file.  The job stopped with KID3 returning error 3 again on
both printers.

I found the source document for myfile.pdf and reprinted it from Acrobat
Reader 7 on my linux workstation, both PSv2 and PSv3, to both printers.
 No errors and all of the jobs completed correctly.  I switched to my
Windows machine and printed the same document using Acrobat Reader 8.0,
again on both printers with both PSv2 and PSv3.  Again, all of these
jobs completed correctly with no errors.

Strange, indeed...

The following is what I know about each printer model:

HP LaserJet 8150
PCL version timestamp: 20020311
PS version timestamp: 20020311
PS timeout: 300 sec
Firmware Datecode: 20020311 MB7.104
Installed RAM: 160MB
JetDirect: EIO1, 610n (J4169A); port setting: 100Mbps/FDX

HP LaserJet 4000
PCL version timestamp: 19980311
PS version timestamp: 19980311
PS timeout: 300 sec
Firmware datecode: 980311 MOBY3.65
Installed RAM: 40MB
JetDirect: EIO2, 600n (J3111A); port setting 10Mbps/HDX

Seth