[cups.general] The new "cupsfilter" utility

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 03:33:06 PDT 2007

Hi,

the new "cupsfilter" utility seems to be a nice tool to develop and
debug filter processes for CUPS, but one thing is strange to me:

I run this command for debugging the filter process of a fax queue for
an HP multi-function device:

cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_3390_fax.ppd ~/printers.txt

The PPD file is the one which HP provides with HPLIP. It contains a
cupsFilter line:

*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"

This means that the input file has to be converted to
application/vnd.cups-postscript and then to be fed into the CUPS filter
foomatic-rip.

So I would expect from above command line that the following filters are
called

texttops -> pstops -> foomatic-rip

with the environment variable PPD set to
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_3390_fax.ppd

resulting in a Fax file for my HP as output.

What happens is

till at till-laptop:~/ubuntu/cups-pdf/cups-pdf-2.4.6$ cupsfilter -p
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_3390_fax.ppd ~/printers.txt
cupsfilter: No filter to convert from text/plain to application/pdf!
till at till-laptop:~/ubuntu/cups-pdf/cups-pdf-2.4.6$

 From where does the application/pdf come from, nothing about it is
written in the PPD file or any other config file.

If I do

cupsfilter -m application/vnd.cups-postscript -p
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_3390_fax.ppd ~/printers.txt

I get PostScript with the PPD options embedded, ready to feed into
foomatic-rip, but I do not get the final format for the printer. How can
I make cupsfilter execute also the last filter as specified in the
cupsFilter line of the PPD file.

If calling the last filter is not supported I appreciate this as a new
feature for cupsfilter, to be accessed by a command line like

cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_3390_fax.ppd ~/printers.txt