remote shared printers stopped working in 1.3.2

Alexander Bürger buerger at hiskp.uni-bonn.de
Thu Oct 18 02:52:27 PDT 2007

Hi,

our printing system stopped working after an upgrade to cups 1.3.2
(Linux debian unstable) -- before it was working nicely.

We have a institute-wide print server (name "printserver") sending
browsing information. Our working group has some local printers which
should be accessible (and, if possible, visible) only to those who have
keys to the respective rooms, otherwise we get lots of junk printed by
people choosing a random printer. All client.conf point to this
"groupserver", which polls the servers running on the computers the
printers are connected to. "groupserver" also has a local PDF printer.

groupserver cupsd.conf (excerpt):

Browsing On
BrowsePoll printer_room1
BrowsePoll printer_room2
BrowseAllow printserver

<Location />
    Allow From group_computer1
    Allow From group_computer2
    Allow From groupserver
</Location>

printer_room1/2 cupsd.conf:

Browsing On
BrowseAllow groupserver

<Location />
    Allow From group_computer1
    Allow From group_computer2
    Allow From groupserver
</Location>

all client.conf:
ServerName groupserver

Before the update, things worked almost perfectly.
After the update:

* all printers work for users logged in on groupserver,
* groupserver's PDF printer works for all workstations of the group
* all other printers do not work from any workstation (except
groupserver) with the message "The printer or class is not shared!"

I do not really have a good idea what is wrong with the setup (which was
previously working). I fear that the setup was kind of switched off in
1.3.0rc1 where the changelog says:

         - The scheduler did not prevent remote queues from being
           shared/published.

What could I do to be able to print again?

Thanks for your help,

Alexander