Problem with web administration - cups 1.3.3 - resolved

Peder O. Klingenberg peder at news.klingenberg.no
Thu Oct 18 06:26:34 PDT 2007

peder at news.klingenberg.no (Peder O. Klingenberg) writes:

> Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Following up to myself here in case anyone else runs into this.

The problem turned out to be that /usr/local/cups-1.3.3/var/spool was
created with too restrictive permissions.  My /usr/local is setgid
"staff", and that led to the spool directory looking like:

drwx--s---  3 root staff 4096 2007-09-20 12:09 spool

Since cups uses a directory below the spool dir for tempfiles,
everything became unhappy.  I changed the spool dir to mode 755
instead, and now everything seems to be working.  (Just for kicks, I
verified that it works when setting mode 710 and group "lp" as well,
but I don't see any reason not to have the spool dir "root:staff" and
mode 755.  The cups subdir is group "lp" and 710 anyway.)

....Peder...
--
This must be Thursday.  I never could get the hang of Thursdays.