[cups.general] Passing extra information from environment to backend?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Oct 18 09:10:15 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Oct 18 05:00 Erik Forsberg wrote (shortened):
> Is there some way to pass information from the environment of the user
> submitting a print job (via 'lp', 'lpr' or some program using libcups,
> for example KDE's or Gnome's printer systems), to the backend?

A command like
lp -o myoption=whatever ...
will make "myoption=whatever" available for filters and for the
backend as argv[5] (if I remember correctly), see "man backend".

> I want to know, in my backend, not only which user submitted the job,
> but also which session in a thin client scenario the user was submitting
> from (each user may have multiple sessions).

This is not possible with 'lp' or 'lpr' as is but you could make
a wrapper script which determines what you need and then let it
call 'lp' with appropriate special option settings which are
then evaluated by your special selfmade backend.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex