Need Some Helpful Opinions

Tony tmuniz at sprich.com
Thu Oct 18 09:47:22 PDT 2007

Our current environment uses a custom printing system which is integrated on an old DG-UX server lp spooler (looking at migrating off that box). The custom functionality allows various distribution centers to flexibly choose which printers they wish to print their generated reports on. Thus, they have the ability to hold jobs by not "assigning" a specific report (via "forms" used by DG-UX) to a printer(s). Upon "form" assignment, the jobs are immediately dispatched to those printers assigned to those reports. The concept is to fully utilize ALL printers (flexible printer assignments where NO printer is idle - can reassign "on the fly" if problems with any one printer).

This method is different from using printer classes. Operators can assign printers "on the fly" versus having to modify class members each time (dynamic versus permanent). Basically, there are several documents which need to be printed on a small finite number of printers. The assignment method works very well given its flexibility. Is there a way to duplicate this somehow in CUPS? I understand we can't have nested classes in CUPS via a single print server setup (the jobs could accumulate in a large generic class which would flow into sub-classes where the operators could control the sub-classes by disabling/enabling them regardless of their printer assignments/members).

On another note, if we could "disable" a printer for any one class while having that same printer "enabled" for an opposing class, it would solve the dilemma as well. They need some of way of controlling the printers in as much as holding/releasing jobs while utilizing the same printer resources. I hope I'm making some sense here.

Let me know your thoughts!

Appreciate your time and expertise!

Tony