[cups.general] Passing extra information from environmenttobackend?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Oct 19 05:16:54 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Oct 19 04:43 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
> Erik Forsberg wrote:
> > Interesting, but will not solve the problem - I might have explained
> > badly, but as the same user may have several sessions, on the same
> > machine, and I want to distingush between sessions in my backend,
>
> BTW, what do you mean with *MY* backend?
>
> If it is a custom backend, over whose code you have full control, you
> can make it read a commandline option that is passed via the print
> command. Say "my_session_id=username at session_number".

As far as I understand it this cannot work because
he is looking for a way that the same user is logged in
several times at the same time and therefore any central
place where an option setting is stored cannot work
to distingush the sessions of this one user.

But meanwhile I wonder what the final purpose of all this is.

When the same user is logged in several times, all his
sessions share the same home directory.
If in one session a file in the home directory is changed,
all other sessions would also use the changed file.
The sessions are not seperated regarding file access.
E.g. one session may change print settings in ~/.cups/lpoptions
and then printing from all other sessions would be done
with the new settings.

I.e. I wonder what the final purpose is why to distinguish
between the sessions when all is done by the same user?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex