[cups.general] Passing extra information fromenvironmenttobackend?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Oct 19 09:20:13 PDT 2007

Erik Forsberg wrote:
>> As far as I understand it this cannot work because
>> he is looking for a way that the same user is logged in
>> several times at the same time and therefore any central
>> place where an option setting is stored cannot work
>> to distingush the sessions of this one user.
>
> Correct.
>
>> I.e. I wonder what the final purpose is why to distinguish
>> between the sessions when all is done by the same user?
>
> It's a thin client environment. Imagine a user that logs in from home,
> running program A on a central server. He then takes his bike to work,
> and runs program B, also on the server, but in a different session.
>
> There's a feature for printing to a printer connected to the thin
> terminal the user is using to access the thin client environment.

I assume the thin clients don't have a local cupsd running? The cupsd
on the server needs to render all jobs and send raw data for printing
to the client?

> (Should you be interested, here's more information about the
> printing features of the product:
> http://www.cendio.com/products/thinlinc/features/printing)

I'll look a bit closer at it in a couple of days.... Thanks for the in-
fo though!

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS