[cups.general] How to send faxes via cups

Gerald Britton gerald.britton at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 14:25:53 PDT 2007

Hi -- I have an HP 9040 MFP printer in my office that can send faxes.
I'd like to know how to set up cups so that I can use this feature.
Ideally I would be able to set up a queue (called "fax" or something
obvious) that I could print to.  When I print to "fax", I would want
to specify the phone number as a command line option or something like
that.

I've been googling a bit but can't find the answer I seek.  I found
fax4cups, but that seems to be a filter that uses a backend (like
efax) that talks to a fax/modem attached to the computer.  In my case,
though, the fax machine is the HP printer.

Anyone done something like this before?