[cups.general] How to send faxes via cups

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Oct 22 06:19:24 PDT 2007

Gerald Britton wrote:
> Yes, I am familiar with the various components of the MFP.  The one
> component I am interested in is the faxing piece.  Now, of course, one
> can stand at the printer and use it like a plain old fax machine, but
> that's not what I'm after.  From the planning guide for the device:
>
> "From supported HP digital sending devices*, digitised
> information can be sent quickly and securely to network
> folders, printers, and fax services, improving productivity,
> and reducing the costs of sharing and storing information
> on an organisation-wide basis.
>
> *HP Digital Sending Software (DSS) 4.0 is compatible with the following
> products: HP Color LaserJet 9500mfp (C8549A), HP LaserJet 9040mfp
> (Q3726A) and 9050mfp (Q3728A), and HP 9200c Digital Sender
> (Q5916A). HP DSS 4.0 is backward compatible with the HP LaserJet
> 4100mfp and 9000mfp for authentication and LAN/Internet fax
> support only."

>From that quote alone, I'm  not at all clear how this DSS works.
I assume it is a Win32/64 software? And it is not available for *nix?

If so, I'm still not clear how it works on Win32/64. Do you send a
file to the "fax-printer", alongside some parameters, like the final
fax destination number, and it will then be faxed off (where the MFP
device only was used as the faxing proxy" in between the PC and the
receiving fax machine)?

> So, it is this piece that I am interested in.  Can cups interface with
> DSS to provide easy faxing?  Alternatively, can cups use the same
> protocols as DSS to talk to the printer so as to run without the DSS
> server?

Have you ever looked at

   http://hplip.sourceforge.net/
   http://hplip.sourceforge.net/howtos/faxing.html