[cups.general] Best way break up a big list of printers for the clients...

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Oct 22 12:24:19 PDT 2007

Everette Allen wrote:
> So say we have one print server with cupsd advertising out 40 printers in 4 classes and I have 4 ip subnets to serve with about 50 clients each subnet.  What I want to accomplish is to allow only clients in subnet A to browse only the 10 printers in class A, those in subnet B to browse the 10 printers in class B and so on.  I want to use a client.conf on each of my client machines that just contains ServerName myprintserver.org. Can this be done? If so could someone forward me an example ?

This cannot currently be done with a single cupsd process; you
*can* setup multiple cupsd.conf files (each pointing to different
spool directories) and run multiple copies of cupsd to accomplish
this, however.

FWIW, there is a pending feature request for configurable browsing
per-printer, but we have not done any work on it...