IPP printing from Windows 2003 - requesting username containsdomain

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Oct 24 08:14:09 PDT 2007

Erik Forsberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We're having trouble with the username sent by Windows 2003
> (Terminal Server) when printing to a CUPS server. It contains not only
> the username, but also the domain of the user. That is, instead of
> 'jsmith', we're getting 'jsmith.windows.domain', which is hard to match
> to usernames on the Linux system.

In general, you can't ever hope to get IPP printing from Windows
print clients (using the Microsoft IPP client implementation) to a
CUPS server right, as soon as there is authentication or authoriza-
tion involved.

The reason is: Microsoft only supports IPP 1.0 (which never became
an official standard, always remained a draft), and IPP 1.0 had
not even yet attempted to specify anything regarding authentication.

(For IPP printing from Windows to Windows, MS uses their own proprie-
tary authentication schemes.)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS