printtool or system-config-printer is no longer working

Margaret Doll margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Wed Oct 24 13:07:17 PDT 2007

I have been using printtool to configure printers on my RedHat linux servers for many years now.  The printers are shared to Macs, unix and Windows computers via LPD and samba.

Printtool, or system-config-printer, stopped working about a month ago.

Printtool no longer makes changes in /etc/printcap, /etc/cups/printers.conf, samba shares and list of printers for web based monitoring of the printers, ie. URLs  localhost:631 or webmin URL  server:10000

Printtool does make the addition to the tables used by setup from setuptool-1.17-2

Linux server 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp
hal-cups-utils-0.5.2-8
cups-libs-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.20.2
libgnomecups-0.1.12-5
cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.20.2
system-config-printer-gui-0.6.116.10-1

The web based printer configuration and setup don't give me the flexibility of choosing drivers and printer setups as does printtool.
I have been unable to add a printer that works on the network since printtool stopped working.

HELP.