[cups.general] How to send faxes via cups

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu Oct 25 11:41:32 PDT 2007

> Thanks, James, I know that hplip supports faxing (although it fails
> consistently for me) but it seems like a natural function for cups to
> handle, since one can view faxing as printing to a phone number.

I've not had any luck getting it to work either, but it does use cups,
using an hpfax backend script, which interacts with the hpssd and
hp-sendfax scripts.

Of course, a backend could be written which does not need the daemon
process (hpssd) and just sends the fax.  It might even work better. ;-)

> Still, if cups can't do it today, maybe this could be an enhancement
> request?  How do you submit those, anyway?

The bugs and features link on http://www.cups.org:

http://www.cups.org/str.php

-JimC