[cups.general] PPD custom options

Franz Pfoertsch franz.pfoertsch at brose.com
Fri Oct 26 07:51:41 PDT 2007

Michael Sweet wrote:

> Franz Pfoertsch wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I need some more explanation of the ppd custom options
>> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ppd.html
>
> OK, you aren't using custom options, you are using regular
> (JCL) options.
What is the difference?
I do it like the example on http://<server>:631/help/spec-ppd.html?TOPIC=Specifications&QUERY=#OPTIONS

>> I try to print into a "mailbox" of a multifunction device from
>> Canon (ir C2880). All selections are done by Canon PJLs.
>> Now my questions
>> a) Did I make a mistake?
>
> The JCL comments appear correct - did you add them to the PPD in
> /etc/cups/ppd, or to the Samba PPD file?
I added the JCL comments at /usr/share/ppd/custom (-> it is ubuntu 7.10, it worked like /usr/share/cups/model/

I choose the driver at the web interface, after this I exported the printer via http://<server>:631/admin/?op=export-samba

I am using the MS/Adober printer driver.

> (JCL options are converted to cupsJobTicket lines by cupsaddsmb,
> and then converted back to PJL commands by pstops...)

I looked into \\<server>\print$\W32X86 and there is nothing converted ...

*% Base JCL key code option
*OpenUI JCLMailbox/Mailbox: PickOne
*OrderDependency: 10 JCLSetup *JCLMailbox
*DefaultJCLMailbox: None
*JCLMailbox None/No mailbox: ""
*JCLMailbox 0: "@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET DEVICE=MAILBOX<0A>@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET MAILBOXNUMBER=O<0A>"
*JCLMailbox 1: "@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET DEVICE=MAILBOX<0A>@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET MAILBOXNUMBER=1<0A>"
*JCLMailbox 2: "@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET DEVICE=MAILBOX<0A>@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET MAILBOXNUMBER=2<0A>"
*JCLMailbox 3: "@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET DEVICE=MAILBOX<0A>@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET MAILBOXNUMBER=3<0A>"
*JCLMailbox 4: "@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET DEVICE=MAILBOX<0A>@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET MAILBOXNUMBER=4<0A>"
*JCLMailbox 5: "@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET DEVICE=MAILBOX<0A>@PJL COMMENT CANPJL SET MAILBOXNUMBER=5<0A>"
*JCLCloseUI: *JCLMailbox

>> b) I that the wrong tool for the job?
>
> No, but it sounds like you might have added the JCL options to
> the wrong PPD...
What is the right PPD/place?

>> c) Is there a bug inside of pstops
>
> No, the PJL options are getting embedded in the PostScript output,
> and pstops is just passing them on...

that's good, but I hope anybody can help me, because I need a solution to print into the printer mailboxes ...

regards
Franz