Problem printing multiple copies

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Oct 30 08:04:06 PDT 2007

Jonathan Dobbie wrote:

>>>Cups Server: 2.6.15-26-powerpc (Ubuntu)
>>>Cups Version: cups-1.3.3
>>>Clients: OSX 10.4.x
>>>Printer: HP 2300n (tried a few others - same problem) through USB (tried ethernet - same problem)
>>>
>>>When a client prints more than one copy (either -n or with the printing dialog box), the printer prints more copies than requested.  When printing from the server box, it works fine.
>>>
>>>classes.conf:
>>><DefaultClass Lib_Print_Queue>
>>>Info Library Printer Queue
>>>Location Library
>>>State Idle
>>>StateTime 1158777914
>>>Accepting Yes
>>>Shared Yes
>>>JobSheets none none
>>>Printer hp_LaserJet_2300_series_USB_1
>>>QuotaPeriod 0
>>>PageLimit 0
>>>KLimit 0
>>>OpPolicy default
>>>ErrorPolicy retry-job
>>>Option job-hold-until indefinite
>>></Class>
>>>
>>>printers.conf:
>>><Printer hp_LaserJet_2300_series_USB_1>
>>>Info hp LaserJet 2300 series
>>>Location Local Printer
>>>DeviceURI usb://HP/LaserJet%202300%20series
>>>State Idle
>>>StateTime 1193690915
>>>Accepting Yes
>>>Shared Yes
>>>JobSheets none none
>>>QuotaPeriod 0
>>>PageLimit 0
>>>KLimit 0
>>>OpPolicy default
>>>ErrorPolicy stop-printer
>>></Printer>
>>>

>>>We have a nearly identical system with a Xante printer, and it works fine.
>>>
>>>Thanks.  I'm stumped.
>>
>>Does it produce n*n copies? If yes, I have a suspicion.
>>
>>Helge
>>

> It does in fact print the square of the number of requested copies.  I'd suspected this, but just confirmed it to be sure.
>
> What is your suspicion?

My suspicion is that the number of copies is first evaluated in the
pstops filter (and transformed into a suitable PostScript statement there)
and evaluated a second time in the backend that writes the data to
the printer.

To do a detailed analysis, you should supply more detail on how the
printer(s) are configured on both the server and the client(s).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung