multiple usb printers, same device uri

Alex Chejlyk alex at swiftnetcomputers.biz
Tue Oct 30 19:15:59 PDT 2007

> Alex Chejlyk wrote:
> >> I have a situation where we have three Epson 1800R printers. One is for glossy, one for 11x17 and one for 8.5x11. The printers are named epsR1800-1, epsR1800-2, epsR1800-3. What is happening is that print jobs are being randomly distributed between these printers. They are acting like a pool, but we don't want that. Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Thanks,

> > I have tried using the DeviceURI?serial=
> >
> > lpadmin -p Eps1800R-3 -E -v \ usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R1800?serial=HQ0140605221139530
> >
> > but the message is the printer cannot connect.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> Epson doesn't advertise or support serial numbers via USB... :(
>
> About all you can do is attach the printers to a network print
> server so they'll have unique URIs.  Even using "file:/dev/usb/lpN"
> won't work since Linux randomly assigns device numbers to USB
> printers.
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Thanks Michael,

Not what I wanted to hear but life is hard...
What about firewire? I tried with debian etch/cups 1.2.7, no joy. I've just upgraded to debian lenny/cups 1.3.2 any chance here or am I sol?

BTW, we did have a usb print server but it died. USB print servers are crap, I have yet to find a high quality unit. LPT print servers are reliable, but their usb counterparts are finicky, lock ups, slow speeds,  necessary weekly reboots, just trash.

Thanks for any info,

Alex