multiple usb printers, same device uri

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Oct 30 20:01:53 PDT 2007

Alex Chejlyk wrote:
> What about firewire? I tried with debian etch/cups 1.2.7, no joy.
> I've just upgraded to debian lenny/cups 1.3.2 any chance here or am I
> sol?

Epson's non-pro Firewire implementation is non-standard.  We had a
contract with Epson years ago to implement it on Linux but were not
able to get sufficient functionality from the 1394 kernel drivers at
the time...  For the Stylus Pro printers, you can use the scsi
backend to talk to the printer (although you'll need to change a
jumper on the Firewire card in the printer for this to work...)

> BTW, we did have a usb print server but it died. USB print servers
> are crap, I have yet to find a high quality unit. LPT print servers
> are reliable, but their usb counterparts are finicky, lock ups, slow
> speeds,  necessary weekly reboots, just trash.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to recommend for USB print servers...