HL-1440 printing screwed up

tj 999alfred at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 09:10:08 PDT 2007

Maybe sonbody here can help me cause nobody on the general help forum can/will.

I have a Brother HL-1440 laser printer that I cannot get to correctly position printing on a page. In  a nut shell it seem that CUPS is not paying in attention to the ImagableArea directive in the .ppd file.

The 1440 has about 5/32" of "unprintable area" at the top of the page and that is how far my printing is to high. It cuts off the top of open office docs and what really brought it to my attention was using Glabels on business card stock.

I checked the .ppd file and I found:
*ImageableArea Letter/US Letter: "0 0 612 792"

Which says to me the whole page is printable, which it is not.

So I calculate the unprinable areas to convert to picas and I change the line to this:

*ImageableArea Letter/Letter:   "18 12 594 780"

Guess what, it made no difference. The posistioning of the print was in exactly the same place. It is almost as if the .ppd file cahnge had no effect.

What can I do to get this working?

tj