[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2562: "cupsfilter" command should also support the printer driver filter specified in the PPD

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:56:55 PDT 2007

[STR New]

The new "cupsfilter" utility seems to be a nice tool to develop and debug
filter processes for CUPS, but one thing can be made better in it:

I want to run this command for debugging the filter process of a fax
driver for an HP multi-function device doing a call like ("-m" option
intentionally left out):

cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_3390_fax.ppd ~/printers.txt

The PPD file is the one which HP provides with HPLIP. It contains a
cupsFilter line:

*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"

This means that the input file has to be converted to
application/vnd.cups-postscript and then to be fed into the CUPS filter
foomatic-rip.

So I would like that with above command line the following filters get
called

texttops -> pstops -> foomatic-rip

with the environment variable PPD set to
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_3390_fax.ppd

resulting in a Fax file for my HP as output.

Unfortunately, running the filter specified by the PPD file is not
supported by the current version of the tool so that I get

till at till-laptop:~/ubuntu/cups-pdf/cups-pdf-2.4.6$ cupsfilter -p
/etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_3390_fax.ppd ~/printers.txt
cupsfilter: No filter to convert from text/plain to application/pdf!
till at till-laptop:~/ubuntu/cups-pdf/cups-pdf-2.4.6$

which is not very useful.

I appreciate if support for the filter specified in the PPD file (printer
driver) gets added.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2562
Version:  -feature