[cups.development] Pseudo duplex mode for several printers

Jon Peatfield J.S.Peatfield at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 18 20:33:37 PDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Michael Sweet wrote:

> Aurélien Croc wrote:
>> So, i'm wondering how CUPS can help my driver by giving to it pages
>> in this special order (and rotation) ?
>> Is it a way to do that? Is it "impossible"?
>
>CUPS doesn't offer a way to do this in a single job.  Part of the
>reason for this is that we have no way of communicating where the
>first set of pages ends to the driver.
>
>Currently your best option is to setup a separate queue for manual
>duplex which uses a modified version of the PPD file with a filter
>for application/postscript that re-queues each half to the "real"
>queue.

Couldn't the extra filter just add a magic (PPD-specific) comment between
the odd/even pages after re-ordering them.  Then the special driver knows
to look for this marker and sends whatever magic sequence the printer
needs to be told at that point?

Assuming of course that the driver is getting sent the postscript of
course...

  -- Jon