[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2577: Error policy not honoured when lpd backend fails to resolve hostname

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Oct 30 12:57:42 PDT 2007

Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 08:01 -0700, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>>
>> Failure to lookup a hostname is treated as a hard error - printing again
>> will not fix the problem.
>
> Disagree.  Hostname resolution failure may well be a transient error.

But starting on the next job won't fix it and will lead to the print
jobs getting out-of-order.

The only time DNS lookups should fail in a transient way would be if
the DNS server was taken down for more than a few minutes or you use
multicast-DNS and the device is not turned on.  For the DNS server
case, this should be a seldom-seen situation; for the mDNS printer,
implementations are supposed to retry the lookups indefinitely...

I suppose if we get a timeout error, we can add retries in each of
the network backends, however hard errors (not found, etc.) can't
be solved by retrying the job or lookup.