[cups.general] Basic printing help

Randy Gordey gordey at stdio.com
Sun Sep 2 14:51:52 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I can plug in either of two usb HP deskjets to my fedora box. (Fedora 7.0)

I am using cups-1.2.12-4.fc7

[root at fedora ~]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:1004 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 970c/970cse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
[root at fedora ~]#

printing with the cups http "print test page" just hangs...

Following is my cupsd.conf

Thanks in advance for any hints or advice you choose to give... please help.

cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf|grep -v ^#|grep [:alnum:]

LogLevel info
SystemGroup sys root
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Encryption Required
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Policy default>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer
Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job
Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class
CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>