switching trays in printjob

Philipp Morger morger at olmero.ch
Tue Sep 4 07:35:15 PDT 2007

Hi,

I try something rather simple, I like to print from OpenOffice to my HPLJ4P, where the first page is from tray one and any other from tray two.

I made all the needed settings in the document, but the switch to the second tray does not happen, though I can print the whole document to any of the two trays in whole.

I tried with CUPS 1.2.7 (SuSe 10.1) and CUPS 1.3.0 (Ubuntu Gutsy)
I tried several drivers (Gutenberg, hpijs and possibly others, though no PS as PS was refused by the printer with some funny abbriated message)

The printer is also shared though samba, where it is accessible though "point'n'print, but Winword is also not able to change the tray within a printjob.

I know of at least one other printer that this CUPS installation is serving, which suffers from the same error (HPLJ4650).

any pointers are welcome :).

regards
Philipp