[SUGGESTION] switching trays in printjob

Philipp Morger morger at olmero.ch
Thu Sep 6 04:12:38 PDT 2007

Hallo Kurt

> That's *very* rare. *If* they want a page from a different slot, it
> is 99% for the first page.
Maybe true, but I do have the case
p1 -> t1
p2 -> t2
p3 -> t3
(p4 -> t2)
(p5 -> t3)
p6 -> t5

> > Oh, that was "W2 UNG�LT PERS" -> Invalid personality, somehow the printer
> > does not like the PS CUPS throws at it...
> Was this printed on a "PostScript error page" by the printer? Or where
> did you see this message?
The HPLJ4P has an LED Display, where it's able to print such short things... like "BEREIT" and "AUFWÄRMPHASE" and Stuff like that...

> Then you wasn't clear or I wasn't awake enough. I took your inquiry
> as a need for Windows (and Unix) Ooo users to achieve that print output
> feature via CUPS.
Well, folks at our site use Winword - this goes over samba to cups... a pretty long way to debug, so I started at the source, which is cups, and as I don't have a Windows, I use OO; It has to work regardles of platform and office product anyway... so by not going via samba, I can exclude much of the possible failure possibilities -> right now, I can simply concentrate on solving the issue OO->CUPS in hope, by solving this I also solve O2K/OXP->Samba-CUPS.

> So for Windows users (who do not print via CUPS) it works, but you want
> it for Unix users too (via CUPS)?
No, it does not work at all, for nobody at our site...

> No, in O2K I don't know this feature. Only the one where you select
> "tray A for page 1" & "tray B for all the rest".
Am absolutely positive, that in O2K you are able to define a page per section.

Wenn ich nicht irre, ist es unter Date/Seite einrichten, dort kann man den Schacht auswählen und definieren, ob es für das ganze Dokument, die aktuelle Sektion oder sowas oder ab der aktuellen Curserposition sein soll. Ich kann jedenfalls ein in O2K so ohne Magie ein 5 seitiges Dokument erstellen, wo jedes Seite aus einem der 5 Schächte käme.

> Unless your users insert some specific PS or PCL or MS code into their
> Word pages into some hidden form fields... (which I also know about).
nope, we do not such black magic...

> For general apps on Unix it *should* work like I outlined in my last post.
> Did you even try it with OOo?
The solution might work, no I didn't try it, because it doesn't solve my issue and it doesn't solve that a functionality is broken in the office application (tray selection per sheet) in OO as well as MS-O, either directly via cups or by samba-cups

> However, if it is the same as it used to be years ago, here is the OOo
> specific way (from memory):
>
>  * In OOo choose the program/dialog/menuitem were you define your
>    "styles and formats"
>
>  * Define different page styles; Name one page style "FirstPage"
>    (or whatever you like).
>
>  * Name your other styles differently (or keep one other style
>    named "default".
>
> When you define each page style, you can assign a specific printer
> tray to it (just don't use "autoselection" or "use printer settings"
> with it). That should do the trick. It should make OOo output
> PostScript code for printing that has specific tray selection code
> injected for each page. (And make sure your CUPS is then *not* set
> up to insert a *different* page code.)
That's *EXACLTY* the way I do it... how can I verify that CUPS is not setup to insert a different page code? And do you know if this works with the hpijs backend?

Grüsse
Philipp