lpinfo: cups-get-devices failed: server-error-operation-not-supported

Susan Dutton Susan.Dutton at stevenage.gov.uk
Thu Sep 6 07:19:20 PDT 2007

Hi

I'm new to CUPS and have installed it successfully on a Solaris 10 server using SUN's instructions. I downloaded their compiled version of CUPS for Solaris 10. I'm trying to do the same on a Solaris 9 server (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/submitted/install_cups.html)using their compiled version of CUPS for Solaris 9. I had to change the port number from 631 to 443 before I could use the GUI. I was able to set-up a printer and send a test page print to it. But when I try to do anything from the command line it just hangs (lp, lpstat). When I ran the lpinfo -v command I got the following error message:
lpinfo: cups-get-devices failed: server-error-operation-not-supported

I've tried re-installing it. I haven't got a C Compiler so couldn't use the latest version from this website.

Any ideas?

Susan