[cups.general] Print dialog boxes in applications (Linux)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 12:46:54 PDT 2007

I have numerous laser printers installed on my Ubuntu Feisty amd64
computers. My most recent acquisition is a Xerox Phaser 7400DN, and it
is also the source of problems.

One thing that would help in figuring things out is if I could
understand how applications get the options to display in their print
dialog boxes. In the case of the 7400DN, the specific problem is media
sizes. I have attached a small PDF showing a chart I made for which
paper sizes are displayed in the print dialog boxes for various
applications when printing to the 7400DN. The first one, "CUPS," is
what is listed in the printer options in the CUPS web interface. But
note that Firefox displays only a small number of the total. Scribus,
on the other hand, displays two additional ones, GermanFanfoldLegal and
Custom. And in Scribus the names are somewhat different, e.g., "#10
Commercial Envelope" appears as "#10Env."

So where do applications get the list of options for a printer? Why are
they different from one application to the next?