[cups.general] Print dialog boxes in applications (Linux)

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:28:36 PDT 2007

What apps should do is polling the list of paper sizes (and also other
user-settable options) from CUPS (and CUPS takes them from the
printer's/the driver's PPD file). OpenOffice.org and all KDE apps poll
the options from CUPS, also newer GNOME/GTK apps (based on new printing
APIU of GTK 2.10.x or newer), therefore the results of OOo Writer and
KPDF are the same as of CUPS.

Old GNOME/GTK apps and also Thunderbird and Firefox do not have common
printing dialogs and do not poll options from CUPS. They offer a
hard-coded selection of paper sizes.

AFAIR Scribus also gets options from CUPS, but it seems to always add a
custom page size choice. Why it adds FanfoldGermanLegal or why it uses
other page size names than the PPD I do not know.

Work on a common dialog for all apps and desktops is under way:

http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/labels/openPrinting.html

But it will take time until this gets implemented.

    Till