MacOSX and epson impact fx-890

Jean Pierre Jammet jpjammet at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 7 00:09:13 PDT 2007

> In article <30439-cups.general at news.easysw.com>,
>  Jean Pierre Jammet <jpjammet at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I am having some trouble printing to a networked Epson FX=890.  The print
> > comes out legible but though we are specifying 8.5x11 page size it's off by
> > some fractions of an inch.  Because we're using 3part continious forms on pin
> > feeds after a page or two everything is off and the page break is misplaced.
> >
> > Using the CUPS Printer Manager (http://localhost:631/printers/) I see:
> >  Location: 10.10.0.141
> >  Make&Model: Epson 24-pin Series CUPS v1.2
> >  Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
> >  Device URI: socket://10.10.0.141
> >
> > When I print a test page with TextEdit it comes out wrong.
>
> Are you using Page Setup first to choose the Epson printer under "Format
> for:" ?  Have you tried any other text applications such as TextWrangler
> from <http://barebones.com> or SubEtha Edit from
> <http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/>?
>
> > When I print a test page with using a cups command line util or by clicking
> > the "Print Test Page" on the CUPS mgr. then things are OK.
>
>  I'm also thinking that TextEdit may impose some of its own margins.  If
> you print a TextEdit text file via the command line, you may bypass any
> such margins that TextEdit is using.
>
> --
> Matt Broughton
> Only relatives are absolute.

Thanks Matt for your reply.
TextEdit is only one of the applications that is problematic.  Printing from FileMaker8 and others is also prolematic. I will try printing from BBedit or similar when I am in office again.  We have another iMac that seems to print OK to this printer but all configurations are the same.  Could a PPD file be the cause of the problem?  How can I tell what PPD file is in use by a particular printer in the CUPS Admin listing?