MacOSX and epson impact fx-890

Matt Broughton walterwego at macosx.com.invalid
Fri Sep 7 17:48:18 PDT 2007

In article <30445-cups.general at news.easysw.com>,
 Jean Pierre Jammet <jpjammet at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> > In article <30439-cups.general at news.easysw.com>,
> >  Jean Pierre Jammet <jpjammet at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> > > Using the CUPS Printer Manager (http://localhost:631/printers/) I see:
> > >  Location: 10.10.0.141
> > >  Make&Model: Epson 24-pin Series CUPS v1.2
> > >  Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
> > >  Device URI: socket://10.10.0.141
> > >

> TextEdit is only one of the applications that is problematic.  Printing from
> FileMaker8 and others is also prolematic. I will try printing from BBedit or
> similar when I am in office again.

I would also suggest trying to printing a text file from the command
line vs TextEdit or some other application.  It will run through a
different set of filters.  All print jobs from the print window in OS X
applications are sent as PDFs.  When you print from the command line, it
will type the file as 'text' and it will use a different set of filters.

The test page from the CUPS web interface sends a PostScript file to be
printed.  It is not changed to PDF first.  Again, a different set of
filters.

> We have another iMac that seems to print
> OK to this printer but all configurations are the same.  Could a PPD file be
> the cause of the problem?

PPDs are normally reflective of the driver's capabilities rather than
creating capabilities.

> How can I tell what PPD file is in use by a
> particular printer in the CUPS Admin listing?

As you are using v1.2.x of CUPS, your web interface is a bit different
than what is supplied by Apple.  Based on your first post, the PPD is
listed under Make&Model.  It tells you that you are using the Epson
24-pin Series PPD supplied with the CUPS installation.  The model PPD
would be at /usr/share/cups/model/epson24.ppd (or something very close
to that).

FWIW, I think just about every post I have seen that combine a pin
printer and OS X says that the output is off.

Matt

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.