Phantom printers on parallel port? (CUPS 1.2.6)

John Meshkoff johnpipe at sonic.net
Sun Sep 9 01:26:52 PDT 2007

I have a Vector Linux 5.8 on one of my partitions, with CUPS 1.2.6 installed.  The web interface is used here (no VL or other GUI IF), and when going to the administration tab, the autodection feature shows two non-existant printers connected to the parallel port.

The only printer connected to that port is an HP500 DeskJet. Configuration was not so smooth; I selected one of the TWO instances of Parallel Port #1, and each identifies the port as  a particular printer brand, CANON and EPSON.  The only way I could configure the printer was to select one of these from the interface drop down list and then load a ppd file, as these odd defaults only give drop downs for these brands of printers (pcl drivers if I remember correctly; I had to login to RH6.1 to get my registration email for the CUPS site so I can't look it up now). Fortunately I had a good HP500.ppd available from my RH6.1 partition with an old version of CUPS, and this got the printer working. However, the resulting URI looks rather odd:

CANON://dev/lp0

Is this a known issue, possibly fixed? Or, possibly something to do with the way VL5.8 is set up?

Printer working OK, but I'm curious to find out what's going on here.

Thanks, John