[cups.general] Class and Printer Control and Views

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Sep 10 09:38:20 PDT 2007

Tony wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there a way to filter out printer and class views shown by the GUI webpage?  We'd like to have a single CUPS server serve several different sites but don't necessarily want them to see each others classes and printers.  Can this be done with jobs as well?

About all you can do is require authentication and then list the users
(or groups) that are allowed to print to each printer or class.

> Also, is there a way of allowing a user to enable and disable a class or printer without giving them complete Admin rights (maybe a "power user" of sort)?  I'd like to be able to give sites the ability to start/stop classes and printers without giving them the ability to delete or modify anything.  Please, let me know!

See the policy help page:

     http://localhost:631/help/policies.html

Basically, you want to set up an "operator" group and then allow it
to do start/stop printer stuff.  CUPS 1.3 is already set up with a
suitable policy - you just need to add a group to the "Require" line.