[cups.general] Problem with talking to a windows server

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Sep 10 11:29:21 PDT 2007

Steve Stamford wrote:

> What I would like to do is point a Debian cups client at a windows print
> server. I think I should be able to do this via IPP?

ipp:// or smb.// or lpd://

> So I change the BrowsePoll line in cupsd.conf on my linux machine to
> point to windows server:80 (windows uses 80 rather than 631!!!)

That doesn't work. Browsing and BrowsePoll is a registered CUPS extension
to the IPP protocol, and that extension is not supported by the MS Windows
side.

Also, IPP is only supported in version 1.0 (which means, no authentica-
tion for you). It will only work if the receiving windows print server
allows you unauthenticated access via IPP.

So my advice would rather be to look into smbspool printing. In case your
CUPS client is part of the Windows domain via Samba, it could be made
fairly secure, and still convenient (no password typing for each print
job). You may need the rather new "samba-krb-printing" package (at least
that's the name on SUSE). It contains a utility called "get_printing_ticket"
that can be described as "binary wrapper to run smbspool with the original
calling UID" and it automatically fetches and uses a Kerberos ticket from
the domain controller (written by Jeremy Allison, BTW).

Last alternative is lpd:// -- but this requires to enable the "Unix Print
Services" on the Windows print server.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS