[cups.general] running OOo 2.2 as a CUPS filter

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Sep 11 06:28:17 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Sep 8 08:10 Helge Blischke wrote (shortened):
> In order to automate bulk printing of office documents
> I managed to run OOo 2.2 (via a small wrapper written in Perl)
> as a filter in CUPS.
>
> OOo is called from within the wrapper as
>    soffice -headless -display :n name_of_document
> It may occur that the ordinary X display does not
> work under lp as user due to authentification problems.
> In that case it works with connecting to a display
> provided by the Xvfb fake server.
>
> Now to the problem:
> Though it usually requires some initial hacks to
> get OOo properly initialized for user lp, it works
> with most Linux distributions, but *not* on a
> SUSe 8.2 system

I don't have such a system running here and therefore I cannot
reporoduce anything here at the moment.

Perhaps you can provide more detailed (error)-mesages?
E.g. the relevant part of CUPS' error_log in debug mode
while your filter is executed or do a "su - lp" and then
run only your OOo command to get OOo's (error)-mesages.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex