[cups.general] Problems with HP LJ P2015

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Sep 12 01:54:31 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Sep 11 14:09 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Christian Andretzky wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a brand new printer HP LJ P2015 and I have problems with the page size
> > and/or imageable area and or page region.
> > I setup the printer as a postscript printer and use the original HP ppd file.
> > (No ghostscript as far as I know.) All of the above mentioned parameters are
> > set to A4 (checked in the ppd file in /etc/cups/ppd/). The page size setting in
> > the printer firmware is also A4. But independent of this, each page which is
> > printed has an imageable area of 8.19x10.67in (207.9x270.9mm)

How did you find out that the imageable area of "each page" is this?
I.e. did you print a special kind of test page or how did you get
the information of the imageable area values?

For example if the YaST test page is printed, it expands itself
automatically to fill up the whole imageable area of the PostScript
interpreter because as a printer test page it shows intentionally
the actual imageable area values of the PostScript interpreter
(and not whatever imaged area of whatever filter).

> What's the output of this command:
> grep ImageableArea /etc/cups/ppd/is2127ps.ppd

ImageableArea has no PostScript invocation value so that
this information may not show why the printed imaged area
is always 8.19x10.67in.

Only PageSize and PageRegion have PostScript invocation values
so that those settings could change something in the printer's
PostScript interpreter.

I have a HP PPD "HP LaserJet P2015 Series Postscript (recommended)"
from the newest HPLIP 2.7.7 here and therein I find for example a
"HPPaperPolicy/Fit to Page" option which is by default set to "PromptUser"
but there is also a "NearestSizeAdjust/Nearest Size and Scale" choice
which could be the reason that the printer's PostScript interpreter
always produces the same printed imaged area.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex