[cups.general] Problems with HP LJ P2015

Christian Andretzky Christian.Andretzky at MB.TU-Chemnitz.DE
Wed Sep 12 06:22:40 PDT 2007

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sep 11 14:09 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>> Christian Andretzky wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a brand new printer HP LJ P2015 and I have problems with the page size
>>> and/or imageable area and or page region.
>>> I setup the printer as a postscript printer and use the original HP ppd file.
>>> (No ghostscript as far as I know.) All of the above mentioned parameters are
>>> set to A4 (checked in the ppd file in /etc/cups/ppd/). The page size setting in
>>> the printer firmware is also A4. But independent of this, each page which is
>>> printed has an imageable area of 8.19x10.67in (207.9x270.9mm)
>
> How did you find out that the imageable area of "each page" is this?
> I.e. did you print a special kind of test page or how did you get
> the information of the imageable area values?

Hmm, I don't say, the imageable area _is_ the reason, I (would at least ;-) say
one or more of the 3 parameters page size, page region and imageable area could
be responsible for my problem.

For testing I've used the CUPS test page which is accessible (for example) via
web-interface on the cups server. The values I mentioned are from this page.
This page also print a frame around the whole imageable area.
The second one is that on normal printed pages the border (not printed area)
seems to have the same size and location as on the test page. Especially the
lower boundary
> For example if the YaST test page is printed, it expands itself
> automatically to fill up the whole imageable area of the PostScript
> interpreter because as a printer test page it shows intentionally
> the actual imageable area values of the PostScript interpreter
> (and not whatever imaged area of whatever filter).
>

>> What's the output of this command:
>> grep ImageableArea /etc/cups/ppd/is2127ps.ppd
>
> ImageableArea has no PostScript invocation value so that
> this information may not show why the printed imaged area
> is always 8.19x10.67in.
>
> Only PageSize and PageRegion have PostScript invocation values
> so that those settings could change something in the printer's
> PostScript interpreter.
>
> I have a HP PPD "HP LaserJet P2015 Series Postscript (recommended)"
> from the newest HPLIP 2.7.7 here and therein I find for example a
> "HPPaperPolicy/Fit to Page" option which is by default set to "PromptUser"
> but there is also a "NearestSizeAdjust/Nearest Size and Scale" choice
> which could be the reason that the printer's PostScript interpreter
> always produces the same printed imaged area.

Forget it all, it seems, my mistake was to use the original HP ppd, which is
available on the install CD. I did this, because I thought it would be nice to
have native (german) language support for the users, and I saw no other ppd
file with german language support.
In the past - at least - there was never a problem to do it in this way.

All things now work as expected.

Thanks for Your help

Christian
--
Name:  Christian Andretzky  | Address: TU Chemnitz                          |
Phone: ++49 +371 531 32130  |          Fak. Maschinenbau/Verfahrenstechnik  |