printing a job

Mohammad momoir at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 09:41:04 PDT 2007

Hi,
I tried to switch to lprng in order to obtain number of pages for a print job, but I had no luck with it, so I switched back to cups again.

This time I installed it from source instead of installing from apt-get.

After successful installation of CUPS I made sure that everything is fine with printing.

Then, I went to test/ subdirectory inside cups main directory and I found ipptest there. I believe ipptest should be the same as testipp as mentioned by Kurt previously. Then, I issued the following command to obtain number of pages for give print job.

./ipptest -v /var/spool/cups/c00046 | grep job-media-sheets-completed

which returned:
Unable to connect to  on port 0 - No such file or directory
Usage: ipptest [options] URL testfile [ ... testfileN ]

-i N    Repeat the last test file once every N seconds.
-v      Show all attributes in response, even on success.

I would like to mention that c00046 is a completed print job.

Any idea what's wrong?