Cups settings from samba

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Sep 16 08:40:55 PDT 2007

Alex Matthews wrote:

> I have a new sparkling colour laserprinter at the school where I work,
> and they want to setup a 'print-release' system on their computer network,
> so that anyone can send a job to the printer but it immediately gets held
> and can only be released by a teacher.
>
> I tried setting the "job-hold-until=infinite" with lpoptions for the
> printer, but samba seems to ignore this, or bypass it.

Which version of Samba?

Which version of CUPS?

Which print-related settings in Samba?
   (Run 'testparm -sv | grep -E "lp|cups|print|spool|driver"')

Which setup for the target printer in printers.conf ?

> lpoptions exceprt:
>
> Default <printer-name> job-hold-until=indefinite

Does it help to insert the line "Option job-hold-until indefinite"
to your printers.conf section for the printer? Like this:

<Printer your_name>
  Option job-hold-until indefinite
</Printer>

--