[cups.general] Kde and gnome-print make Samba-printing fail on Xerox Phaser 6350

Lukas Thiemeier lukast at ifh.de
Mon Sep 17 04:39:28 PDT 2007

Hi there,
I'm running Cups 1.3 and Samba 3.0.23c on Scientific Linux 5.
I have several HP and Xerox printers installed and running without major
problems. One of the Xerox printers is a Phaser 6350DX. I've installed the
latest Xerox-drivers for WinXP in samba, and used this drivers ppd to set
up the Printer in cups. Both, Windows and Linux printing work fine.
Here comes the Problem:
When printing Ascii from a Kde or Gnome Desktop, the texttops is not used
because gnome-print generates the postscript code. This works fine, but
AFTER printing from Kde or Gnome, It is not possible to print from a
Windows Client on this printer. The Bannerpage is printed correctly, but
afterwards a error message is printed instead of the printfile. The error
Message depends on the Desktop I used, but is always the same for each
Desktop:

KDE:

ERROR: stackunderflow
OFFENDING COMMAND: exch
STACK:
\h

and for Gnome:

ERROR: typecheck
OFFNEDING COMMAND: setdash
STACK:
21690
\lucas

I repeat: The bannerpage is printed correctly, and there are no problems
printing from linux. To make Windows users able to print again, I have to
restart the printer. After restarting, Windows clients are able to print
again, until somebody prints from Kde or Gnome.
I already tried a different Driver for Windows and a alternate ppd for
linux, without success.
The problem also occurs, if I disable raw-printing from Windows, so that
the data is processed by pstops before it is printed.

Im not 100% sure, but I think this problem did not occur before updating
to Cups version 1.3.
I will set up an alternate Cups server with cups 1.2.4 (the version I
used before) to verify this.

Has anyone an idea what to do?
I would be happy, if only I knew weather this is a Windows, Gnome, Kde or
Cups problem.

Thanks a lot
Lukas

PS: I did not attach logs, because this error can not be seen in the logs,
even with a high debugevel.