Mac / Linux Print Servers

Burnie West west at ieee.org
Mon Sep 17 23:04:00 PDT 2007

I'm not able to get both my F7 Linux and my wife's MAC OS X 10.3.9 to share their respective printers. These two computers are connected via a Linksys wireless router, using the wired ethernet connections.

The MAC can print on the Linux box, but not vice versa. My F7 Linux printer configuration tool [system->administration->printers] lists the remote printers on the MAC, but when I select one I get an alert box "There was a problem connecting to the CUPS server".

The Linux CUPS tool at localhost:631/printers has a server tab, and I have been able to get the MAC printer to work from the UNIX box using that tool after editing /etc/hosts on the Linux box to include the MAC's IP address (using the Linksys DHCP reserved IP address feature). However, the MAC CUPS tool does not have a server tab (or I haven't grasped the incantation necessary to enable it), and MAC OS X doesn't seem to manage /etc/hosts in the same way as Linux. I have enabled printer sharing on the MAC, but the CUPS tool does not appear to recognize it as a printer server. I edited /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to log debug messages, but the debug message "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided." doesn't tell me very much.

Seems like it all ought to be easier than this, but I haven't found the "howto" of other instructions that tell me the preferred path to get all this running.

I'd appreciate any help.